Thursday, May 22, 2014 * 7:00 pm
Stewart’s Creek High School
301 Red Hawk Parkway
Smyrna, TN 37167
Erich Zimmerman, Conductor
Greg Lawson, Associate Conductor
Tennessee Valley Winds Community Concert Band Performance
The Tennessee Valley Winds will perform a free concert under the direction of Mr. Erich Zimmerman, on Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 7PM. Admission to the concert is free. This concert is presented as a partnership with the Rutherford County Board of Education Stewart’s Creek High School and will take place in the Auditorium of Stewart’s Creek High School located at 301 Red Hawk Parkway in Smyrna. Stewart’s Creek High School is the new host school for the TVW.
Erich Zimmerman will lead the Tennessee Valley Winds in a program that includes Jose Padilla’s El Relicario Paso Doble, Eric Ewazen’s Celtic Hymns and Dances,Robert Sheldon’s Metroplex and Franz von Suppe’s Light Cavalry Overture. The clarinet section will be featured in Leroy Anderson’s Clarinet Candy.
The Tennessee Valley Winds is a non-profit, all volunteer, self-supporting community band that has been providing quality musical performances since 1984. The community band experience is unlike school or professional groups. Rarely do amateurs and professionals, young and old, get to work together. The opportunity to learn and grow is unique. The director is more of a guide than an authority figure, and does not assign parts or solos. It is expected that all will help each other by offering suggestions and sharing. Friendships are born of shared work and musical enjoyment.
The purpose and objectives of the TVW are:
- To make a positive contribution to the musical environment and culture of the Middle Tennessee area.
- To promote music education through programs, activities, and community outreach events.
- To provide an opportunity for quality musical experiences and musical growth by the membership.
- To provide an opportunity for contact and interaction with musicians of advanced proficiency by the membership.
- To advance the position of the community concert band in America through public performances of quality band literature.
The Tennessee Valley Winds concert is free and open to the public and will begin at 7:00 p.m. Thursday, May 22nd.